It’s an unfortunate fact that one’s chances of experiencing a house fire increase significantly over the holiday season. More outlets are being used, many put their fireplaces to more frequent use, and all kinds of holiday decor and lighting is being displayed in and outside of the home. Because of this, a joyous, festive occasion can turn into a disaster in no time!

Well, here at Sleep Easy Chimney, we want our customers to feel the peace of mind they deserve as they celebrate the holidays with family and friends. If you’re looking to keep your home safer this winter, follow our guidelines below. Have questions? We’d love to hear from you! Our qualified technicians will be there for you every step of the way.

snow covered roof and chimneySchedule A Chimney Inspection

First things first, get that annual inspection on the books. Having an expert chimney sweep check things over is a must before getting any holiday fires going, and they will be able to spot any damage or buildup that needs addressing. Here at Sleep Easy Chimney, we offer both level one and level two inspections, so you are sure to get the in-depth and accurate assessment you are hoping for.

Our professionals train with the CSIA, and we are members of the NFPA and the NCSG, as well. We have both the knowledge and experience needed to note any issues before they get worse, and we can recommend further action if damages are present. Get your inspection on the calendar now to guarantee a safer holiday season for you and your loved ones!

Invest In Sweepings & Repairs

Did your inspection reveal excess creosote in your flue? Or maybe you sweep spotted some cracking or crumbling brickwork? No matter the issue at hand, having problems addressed before lighting your next fire is essential. Why is this? Well, let’s start with creosote and the problems that accompany it. Creosote forms as you burn fires in your fireplace, and it adheres to the inner walls of your chimney. Unfortunately, it is very flammable, meaning too much of it can increase your chances of experiencing a chimney fire significantly.

Chimney fires cause a lot of damage to your system, and they can call for expensive relining and restoration work, too. They are definitely something you want to avoid!

Aside from excess creosote deposits, other problems come in the form of damaged masonry, broken down chimney parts, and worn-out liners. These issues, along with countless others, can turn any burning season into a disaster before you know it. Our repair services are extensive, and we are certain we can help you with it all. Give us a call now before it’s too late!

Practice Caution With Your Christmas Decor

Decorating your home, both inside and out, is an enjoyable pastime for many families this time of year, but it’s important to practice caution with many of these holiday-themed items. Christmas trees, for example, should never be placed near the fireplace or by any sources of heat, and if you have a live tree, then you need to be especially careful. Water them regularly so that they do not dry out and become more prone to ignite, and never adorn them with real candles.

Always use an artificial tree? Double-check the tag or packaging to ensure it is flame-resistant. Just a few simple steps like these can make all the difference when it comes to keeping your family safer this Christmas!

Another thing we warn homeowners against is decorating their mantel with flammable decor. We get that it’s tempting to hang stockings by the fireplace and adorn the area with tinsel, holly, and the like, but these practices can seriously put your home at risk when lighting fires. All it takes is one or two stray sparks to trigger a disaster!

Hanging lights in and throughout the home? Never overload your circuits. The best course of action is to get a power strip and plug your lights into individual sockets. Hooking together three or more strings can lead to a fire before you know it.

Invest In Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Every household should be equipped with smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home. The more devices you have, the better, and it is strongly advised to install one outside of every bedroom. Why? Well, if a fire were to occur at night while everyone is sleeping, it is often the case that they do not wake up to notice their home engulfed in flames. As they inhale more smoke, their oxygen levels lower, and they pass out before realizing they are in danger.

A smoke detector could make all the difference in warning your family of a fire! Along with this, carbon monoxide detectors are a must, since this poisonous gas has proven to be very deadly over the course of the years. It’s known as a “silent killer” due to its colorless and odorless nature, and many won’t note its presence until it is too late to take action. A carbon monoxide detector is a surefire way to know if you are facing any risks!

Work With The Best Today

You deserve the best care possible, especially when it comes to keeping your loved ones better protected. We believe we can offer you the best care around. Let us prove ourselves to you! Reach out today to get started.